The Wheel Inn at Bowling Green, Sway Road, Pennington, Lymington, SO41 8LJ
Tel: 01590 718042
HISTORY of the WHEEL INN AT BOWLING GREEN
The Wheel Inn pub has been on the triangular shaped site as a building from at least 1770 when it was a Blacksmith’s shop, cottage and well, situated in the Parish of Hordle.
It remained as a blacksmith’s, then a carpenter’s and finally a wheelwright’s, until becoming The Wheel Pub in 1871 when the publican was a Frank Browning who was also a bricklayer.
From that date there has been a pub continuously on the site up until the present day known as just The Wheel or The Wheel Inn.
In the late 1800’s it was sold to the Dolphin Brewery of Poole which later became bankrupt and the pub was sold to Strong & Co of Romsey. Strong & Co were later taken over by Whitbreads. Whitbreads owned the Pub until 1993 when it was again sold and when it is assumed that it became a Free House and remains so to the present day.
Wheel Inn at Bowling Green, Pennington, Community Benefit Society Limited opened for business on 12 March 2018 after a refurbishment by volunteers. Following a kitchen refurbishment, in May 2018 the pub began restaurant opened to serve the Community of Bowling Green and surrounding area.
1770 – Philip Stote had tenancy of a cottage, shop and well formerly used as a Blacksmith’s shop on the triangular site
1800 – Blacksmiths business owned by Hannah Stote – widow
Business Left to her daughter Hannah Ballard
1812 – Blacksmiths house and shop and 2 outhouses sold by James Guy, Lord of the Manor of Hordle, to John Philips of Mattramsley, Carpenter
1841 – Occupied by William Harris
1843 – John Street – occupied site of house and garden which was owned by Robert Lillington Rice of Lymington
1851-1861 – Occupied by John Parker- wheel wright
1871 – Census described as the Wheel Pub and publican was Frank Browning, bricklayer
1878 – Occupied by Henry Tanner as victualler at The Wheel.
Property sold to Henry Tanner of Buckland for £150, who 13 years later sold it to the Dolphin Brewery of Poole for £550
1881 – Occupied by Stephen Keeping carpenter.
1891-1895 – William Loader – from Dorset – publican and beer retailer
1901 – Innkeeper is William Coffin
1911-1920 – Licensee is Eliza Coffin
1927-1935 – Licensee is Frederick J Adams
1936 – Dolphin Brewery went bankrupt and sold the Pub to Strong & Co of Romsey, who were later taken over by Whitbread’s who owned the Pub up until 1993.
1970’s/ 1980’s – In the 1970’s there was succession of landlords starting with Jack White, an ex-police inspector, and his wife Ada followed by the Blomfields, a local family, who ran the pub for several years. After an increase in rents by the Brewery, The Blomfields left and were followed by Sandy Laing who had previously run a pub in Ashley.
1993/1994 – Sold to Edward Toomer and John Ingram who refurbished the pub. Reopened in March 1994, with Andrew Cave and Linda Slack as managers, they left September 1994
1994 – 2017 – The pub continued to operate with series of managers in residence until 2017.
2017 – present The building was put up for sale by the Landlords but failed to sell. A fund-raising campaign started in September 2017 culminating in January 2018 when The Wheel Inn Community Benefit Society signed the 11 year lease, and started trading on 12th March 2018.
20th June: The Hobos
Open Mic night featuring guest band The Hobos foot-tapping old-time Folk!
Knit & Natter Group
The Wheel Inn has its quieter times so, we have set up a social group that meets on Monday and Wednesday afternoons from 2.30pm. in the cosy small bar.
Everyone is welcome. Bring your knitting or other craft projects, the crossword , latest read or just yourself!
Come for a natter, we are great company. We can share hints and tips and reminisce around Phil’s cosy fire.
The Wheel Inn at Bowling Green has been refurbished and is now run by and for the community.
There will be tea and coffee available along with cake.
Come and join us
If you want more details please contact Ros Gear by phone 01590 676419
or email email@example.comSee Less